Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ministry Update: December 2008

This will probably be the final entry for the year 2008. It's amazing how one whole year whizzed by so swiftly. Nothing eventful occurred recently. Well, last week was a colleague's wedding in Alor Star and the staff took a break to Langkawi for a retreat. But I was in Penang through the weekend. Loaded with some family chores that needed my attention. Next week, I'm taking my break for a whole week, beginning with a short, over-the weekend trip to the OA settlement in central Malaysia with my CG members. Then I'm travelling to PJ for the week to spend time with my nephews, Jack & James. James will be turning 3 middle of the month.

Right now, I'm juggling two tasks. One, is preparing for the class in Tawau from 12-16Jan. Two, is preparing for my entrance exam into the PhD Missiology program. Honestly, I do not know how to finance myself through this program. I'm simply stepping out in faith. And I want to pursue this because I know I can achieve only as far as I dare to dream and I can only take the people I lead to where I've been.

I'm not sure what 2009 has in store, especially with the uncertainty clouding almost every facet of our lives. But I'll be looking forward to spending a whole month (Apr/May) in Tawau, teaching at PLAB (Pusat Latihan Alkitab Baptis) where we've initiated a "twinning" program. I hope to visit various ministries of our students and to encourage the work in the interior. I'm free (from teaching) throughout the BM Module in STCM next year. This will give me more time to spend with the students in various activities. Most of all is, I'm looking forward to the new work among the Semai people in central Malaysia. I'll share more as the work progresses but as for now, it's at its very infant stage.

At the close of the academic year, someone asked me how I cope with students leaving after a year or two in campus. I'm actually very ok with that. In fact, I think it'll trouble me if I see a person continously, endlessly...I mean, students come and students go. And I have built friendships with many nationalities. I have invites to various places throughout Asia and beyond: there's invites to Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Sudan, Nepal, Indonesia, Singapore. Unfortunately my invitation to South Korea is no longer valid as my Korean brother & family is now in Malaysia (?!) And within Malaysia, of course there's invites to almost every state, except Kelantan/Trengganu.

Before I close, I'd like to send you my warmest Christmas & New Year greetings to you and your family. And again I'd like to thank all of you for your partnership in ministry.

No comments: