Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ministry Update Jan-Feb 2013


I just blinked my eyes n my calendar is showing February. Well, January had been a slow month; probably because most r still recuperating from the festivities at the end of Dec/early Jan; or perhaps still in a daze that the so-called end of the world prophecy did not happen…

My proof-reader in Singapore is still proof-reading my dissertation. School has started n his pace is slower now that he has to juggle teaching/responsibilities in school n reading a boring academic writing. But I hope he can meet his own set deadline to complete by end of Feb. I hv to target to complete all the needed by mid of the year too. My supervisor is retiring n returning to the States on 1st Aug. So, it’s really at the final “lap” of a long “academic marathon.”

The SOS (Sahabat Orang Sakit) Ministry in Penang recently set up an “Akademi SOS.” This is a “training” school for pastors n (lay) church leaders from all over Indonesia who come to Penang to serve in the hospital ministry. I m among the teaching team n they linked themselves to SAM (Sekolah Alkitab Malaysia) Penang to jointly offer short term training program aimed to equipped participants to better understand the local context of ministry. Though targeting Indonesians seeking treatment in Penang (private) hospitals, there r locals among them n they r seeking the best way to serve these Malaysians. There’s where I come in with missiological perspectives.

Thus far I heard these Indonesian pastors, though here on short term basis, hv returned very revived. I was told they became excited for ministry again when they saw their simple prayers answered for healing. The first batch returned after 3 weeks here n the new batch just arrived. I hv 2 two-hour sessions with each intake n the topics for discussions are confined to just 2: worldview n contextualization. The schedule is classroom discussion in the morning n afternoon is practical ministry – visiting hospitals.

I received a lot of donated stuff for my OA friends. The usual practice was I keep them in my store (in my office) n bring in little by little at my each visit to Ipoh/villages. Recently, the stuff got “too much” till my store room door could hardly close. So, the idea came up that we sell those stuff along with St Nicholas’ Home’s monthly jumble sale. So, yesterday was the day n we managed to sell abt half of the stuff; collected slightly over RM240 within one morning. Though I intended it to be a one-off thing, I’ve been asked to hold this “jumble sale” again. Apparently, the stuff we hv r of better quality than those found at the other “stall.”

End of Feb starts the first class in Ipoh for the Diploma module. Kindly pray for us as we start the new academic year. In the meantime the certificate modules already began in Ipoh since early Jan while Penang began late Jan. Four students r ready to graduate with Diploma in Christian Ministry end of the year. Kindly pray as we prepare for this first graduates in our partnership with STM.

Mid March, me n 2 other OA colleagues will represent SAM to attend a meeting with STS (Sabah Theological Seminary) in KK, Sabah to elaborate on our networking efforts n sharing of resources. Plz pray for us as we strive to expand the ministry of BM Theological education in Malaysia. Join us to pray for partnerships n ministry opportunities with individuals, organizations, churches, etc within n beyond Malaysia. (Personally) I hope to get SAM ready to offer bachelor programs soon – if not this year, then next. I m just praying that STM can be more enthusiastic (or any other Seminaries in Peninsular for this matter) to progress more aggressively for the BM work. True that we shld not simply churn out degree papers but the OA ministry is growing faster than we can train them adequately to lead. It is frustrating that while I can serve “full-time” other concern parties (of decision makers) r not willing to spare more than their “part time” attention!

Join us in praying for this exciting ministry in this year of change. I believe that if Malaysia is ever to experience the next “wave of revival,” it will surely hv something to do with the BM ministry. I’m glad God has called me to be a part of it just as many others; will u come be a part of us too?


No comments: