Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Ministry Update July/Aug 2013



Finished but not completed…that’s a dilemma. It has been 5 years of “toiling” effort but I know it’s worth it. I’m dedicating it all to a people group worthy of that much effort. I’ve had the privilege to learn from one of the most renowned missiologists of our time n he managed to conclude all requirements for graduation before he retired n return to the States. Then as the “completed” dissertation was submitted for graduation, I was made aware that there are “seemingly additional requirements” before graduation can be granted. Hmmm…it was frustrating n I’ll still trying to get over that frustration – when u hv finished a hard-earned work only to be informed that it’s not quite over yet. I do agree with the rationale presented that:

1.      This will be the first time the Seminary is conferring the highest academic award n there’s bound to be hiccups when we do things the first time
2.      Endorsement from wider academic community will certainly strengthen the credibility of the degree

And this is the “price” for being the first! Honestly, I m still harboring a hope, even if there is the slightest of it, to graduate this year – the Jubilee year for our nation. It will be spiritually significant as a breakthrough for a maturing indigenous Malaysian church. So, as I’ve been made aware, there will be another “round” of evaluation for the submitted n approved dissertation by my initial supervisor. It will be reviewed by scholars in various (academic) disciplines involved in the research of my dissertation “Raising Indigenous Leaders through Christian Education: A Semai Model.” There may be further corrections n amendments; perhaps also another round of oral defense. It really feels like enrolling in a whole new program!

I’m in Ipoh for a week-long class with my OA friends. It’s been interesting, as always, to mutually learn from each other. August is a packed month filled with activities. There are preaching engagements but I’m glad bcoz it gives me an opportunity to share about the OA work n an attempt to impart the passion for this ministry. September is also a packed month with almost all weekends “booked” for speaking engagements. But I hope in between, I can attend to any necessary “corrections” required for my “approved dissertation” to qualify it for graduation. I’m in a dilemma – should I proceed to purchase the doctoral graduation robe? If I drop the idea, what if I manage to complete the necessary in time for graduation this year? If I proceed to buy the robe, what if I cannot complete the necessary n hv to delay graduation to next year? Then I can only “dream” of putting on the doctoral robe for a whole year! This is a humorous situation. The truth is, I fully support the need for further evaluation of my dissertation so that it gives stronger credibility to the degree. Bcoz, the truth is, the rumor is true – it is easy to earn a degree in MBTS!

Plz pray for me n the OA ministry. Thank you.

No comments: