Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Ministry Update Nov n Dec 14



I walked towards a computer accessory shop and saw two customers there talking to one of the shop-keepers. As I entered the shop, one of the customers turned to look at me. Well, that was a familiar face. To break the uncomfortable stare, I asked her, “Fettes Park?” and she replied, “yes, and you are from GBC!” Well, it looks like we are known by our “church labels.” I was thinking about this incident in the evening while sitting in the car waiting for the traffic lights to turn green so I can turn into Island Glades. Suddenly, I realized the car in front of me. It was a Toyota LE bearing the registration plate PBB 2027. That was familiar…it was my first car! I was so tempted to run out n thank the present driver for taking good care of my “first car” but decided against it. I think the driver would be shocked that this cranky person came to approach him while queue-ing for the traffic lights to turn green.

I appreciate my old car – my first car – which faithfully served me. It taught me proper “car-care” bcoz of the need to ensure it is always in good condition. (Old car needs more care) Lessons are learnt in each n every situation – sometimes positive but sometimes negative – nevertheless, there is always a learning opportunity. Not too long ago, I was in Ipoh for the Malam SAM event. Since we ceased partnership with MBS which only licensed us to conduct certificate programs, SAM has been in partnership with STM to offer both certificate n diploma programs. Students who completed program requirements participate in the full convocation service in STM campus in Seremban. To me, that was the highlight of achievement – to wear graduation gown n receiving formal recognition for achieving an accredited academic award. So, I never quite understand the need to hv another ceremony, a smaller n exclusive one, solely to “honor” SAM graduates. But soon, I discovered why it was held. It was a time for the local church to appreciate the students’ efforts by giving them a token gift. Though it was a simple ceremony with not much formality, it was a night to exhibit appreciation and affirmation by the local church to the graduated students. A simple gesture, no doubt, but it nevertheless affirms the partnership of the local church with each n every student in their quest of being equipped to be effective ministers of the Gospel. Is a lesson learnt – for me. And today, the “label” of SAM student is slowly gaining respect. In one of the SAM classes, one student shared how “outsiders” now – upon knowing they r SAM students pursuing theological training – will “tabik” (or showing respect, la…) them!

Year end reports r piling, but I’m attending to everyone of it. The frustrating part is waiting for data from my OA colleagues. Also, I’m waiting for our Sarawak partner to confirm details of MEC-SAM partnership. Hv sent the email 3x but for whatever reason, it got lost while traveling across the ocean n Sarawak did not receive the mail. Maybe there’s some spiritual warfare involved here! I’m still working on the final phases of refining my dissertation. Hope to complete the necessary before the year ends. What happens next? I’m praying n seeking the Lord’s direction as I explore options in both England n the US. Will greatly appreciate ur partnership in prayer n discernment.

December: there will be a day trip to visit an OA village. Then, the rest r Christmas events. It surprised me – no – it shocked me when an OA colleague recently shared with me the progress of the OA village work. When I joint the Anglican church, there were 5 village churches in Gopeng n 4 in Simpang Pulai. Today, abt 4 years later, there are 5 new outreaches. I don’t know how vast the outreach in Gua Musang (Kelantan) has grown among the Temiar. All these under the leadership of Gereja Shalom, Gopeng. The Kampar OA work, headed by St Peter’s BM church, which was just starting when I heard abt it some 4 years ago, today has 9 service centers!

I invite all of u to join me in this ministry. God is moving mightily in the indigenous community. Join us in this exciting work for such a time as now n join God in His blessings for Malaysia.

   PHP 1:3 I thank my God every time I remember you. 4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

SB
031214

No comments: