Friday, December 29, 2017

Ministry Update Dec17Jan18



Finally I have unpacked n settling in my new office n apartment in Seremban! Do drop by for a visit when you are in the neighbourhood...

I am assigned to be the faculty of the newly established BM stream n will teach mainly the BM classes while offering myself for the English classes if I’m needed. For 2018, I’m basically assistant to every task I’m assigned to (except teaching) in campus. I greatly appreciate this as I have a whole year to adapt; acquaint myself with the “system” n culture; the environment n how to get around, etc.

I am still overseeing the SAM centers up north – in SP, Prai, n Ipoh. So, there’s going to be a lot of adjustments n juggling of time n schedule. There’s also going to be less visits to the OA villages n I know I’m going to miss those jungle food!

As I bid farewell to 2017, I am also bidding farewell to the familiarity of Penang – the people, church, food...As I welcome 2018, I am also welcoming the new venture of ministry, people, n environment. For sure, Seremban is not like Penang at all. People here speak Cantonese n yesterday I had to speak BM to an elderly man delivering the washing machine (?!) I thought I only had to do that in Ipoh or KL. Here too? But I’m glad to know that there is a small Penang community within the “taman” here. So, whenever I miss speaking Penang hokkien, I can always drop by their place! But the food...good old Penang food – this can ONLY be found in its place of origin.

As I pen this update from my new office, I looked up to the book shelves in front of me. There’s two more on my right plus two metal cabinets n a glass-door cabinet. On my left is a shelf above some cabinets. The top shelves are empty...why? I’m not tall enough, la...I look up to see the two Kiroro stuffed-toys I received from students from HK while in MBTS. It always brought back laughter when I look at the two green Kiroro’s. One HK friend came back to campus after returning home for the holidays. He got me a Kiroro clad in its graduation gown for my graduation (ThM) n told me that Kiroro was the most popular cartoon character in HK at that time. But Kiroro looks so “ugly” n since it was a gift, I left it on my office shelves. Then another HK student saw the Kiroro n assumed I was a fan of it. The next time she returned HK, she got me another Kiroro! All the while I thought Kiroro was so super ugly but now the two Kiroro’s together always bring smiles to me!

I’d like to thank all supporters along 2017 – prayer support, ministry support, n financial support. I look forward to 2018 n your continuous partnership in this exciting ministry. I trust that many of you have received SAM annual report. Join me in prayers for another exciting year for the Lord. It is your partnership that makes all these possible n I hope you “give me a reason” to visit Penang officially so I can enjoy the unofficial in-between’s.

No comments: