Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ministry Update: February 2009

The year had started adventurously for me, with a trip to Medan-Sidikalang, followed by Kiulu Baru, Tawau in Sabah, followed by the anxious entrance exam which by God's grace I passed, and the CNY week. Now I am catching my breath as I settle to the routine. But let's face it, I am a work-oriented person, so a busy schedule is what keeps me alive. I have been praying to the Lord for more opportunities of service and ministry. It looks like He is slowly answering my prayer and I am both excited and filled with joy. Trully the joy of the Lord is my strength. Circumstances around me may seem pretty discouraging at times but the Lord is always faithful and just. A brief look at my schedule 2009...

January...teaching a one-week class in Tawau
March...starting a once-a-month, March till November, class with pastors of the BM church, FGAC
April...teaching a one-week class in main campus, MBTS Penang
End April till late May...teaching a one-month class in Kiulu Baru, Tawau
June...teaching a one-week class in Ipoh, or Gopeng-Simpang Pulai
August...tentative schedule for a one-week class
October...teaching a one-week class in main campus, MBTS Penang

The class in Ipoh will be a trial class at the request of some students. The venue is not determined yet. But I'm not worried. It can be as rural as the Pawong church and yes, Chee Lock and company, I really do not mind that condition. It looks like I am slowly becoming a jungle woman. Pretty scary, right? Yesterday, the students in campus were doing some campus cleaning and someone caught a baby wild boar. My first reaction was to bbq that poor chap. We immediately plan how to lure wild boar senior to our stove. My, what jungle talk...

I recently sent a proposal to a few individual friends to ask their opinion and comments regarding a dream for a new ministry. Well, I am amazed at the encouraging response thus far. But I know I must discern for God's timing to launch this work. Even right now, I know the Lord is calling individuals to share the same passion to reach inward to the rural, jungle within Malaysia. Please continue to pray for the ministry to the indigenous community. They may be poor and lacking but their simplicity and zealousness, a lesson for all of us urban freaks. I am enjoying the fellowship of the tribal community. Perhaps I am just too fed-up with the complexities of the urban society, some filled with hypocrisy.

Please pray for my studies. I have starting my gruelling journey towards a PhD, an effort I would like to dedicate to the indigenous community of Malaysia. For this first year of study, I will be exploring all resources on the various tribal people groups in Malaysia, both in Peninsular and in Sabah and Sarawak. Later, I will narrow the study to a single tribe. The area of research will focus on the raising of local leaders in the tribal community, how age and gender impact leadership opportunities.

This Sunday I will preach at the Jelutong Chinese Methodist Church and no, I am not preaching in Mandarin. I will preach at the English congregation at the extremely early hour of 8am on a Sunday morning.

Finally, let us continue to pray for Malaysia...in particular for Perak. And once again, thank you so much for your partnership in ministry.



No comments: