Monday, July 27, 2009

Ministry Update 3: July 2009

NU 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie,
nor a son of man, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
Does he promise and not fulfill?

So here’s another update from me to share with all of you the important decision I have made. It has not been easy and I thank many of you who wrote encouraging emails to help me through the hard times. I am sure no one in his or her right Christian mind will turn away from an exciting move of God that is approaching and you will surely act on it and take the risks that come along with it. That is what has landed me in these two months of frustration, depression, and misery. Sounds so miserably, right? It was depressing all right and I think I sort of spread the misery through my updates to some of you. Well, I’m just sharing from the heart and we all know that the Christian life is an upstream struggling. Besides, God never promised us blue skies and everything nice.

I thank God for FACEBOOK. Yes, it’s great because I re-discovered lost friendships. Some of whom I have not met for more than twenty years. And recently I met two of them. It is funny that while we are in Penang all these while, we never bump into each other. Penang is really NOT THAT SMALL, after all. So I had dinner with two old friends at US Pizza and none could believe I am in ministry. Who would? God often pick the most unlikely candidate. And as I shared of what I am doing, one of them exclaimed that it surely has to be God’s calling for me to be doing what I am doing in the interior. This is actually a second confirmation and it came from an unbeliever. OK, so she is not quite an unbeliever but she’s a catholic who can hardly pray. How I arrived at my decision was at a point where I was too angry to continue on in an indecisive situation and I sort of lost my temper at God in prayer. Then He brought a college kid to knock some sense into me. Four degrees, three of them seminary masters and God brought an eager college kid to speak to me. I am humbled. Thanks brother, I know you are reading this right now. It is that phrase you mentioned that sometimes we need to shut one opportunity to ensure there is only one way. Well, we always want a plan B to fall back on just in case plan A doesn’t work out well. But that is not how it works in ministry. And the next morning as I was reading Numbers, the verses above literally jumped out at me. So, here I stand, fearfully venturing into a huge uncertainty with only God as my security. But that is enough.

The past two months were a real struggle. When you know you just must seize the opportunity to move along with God in an exciting work He is doing in this nation, He can stir things up in us that can be so unexpected. I do not enjoy sharing negatively and I know you do not enjoy reading them. But the truth is, we are fallen beings with all our ways prone to evil. I am still upset and disappointed at the parties that attempted to hinder the growth of the BM work and even those who are blind to see the approaching move of God. In fact, I feel sorry for them. One thing I do know is that nothing escapes the eyes of our watchful God. He will judge and reward accordingly. My plans now are to focus fully and begin sourcing for funds to grow the BM work. If the school cannot quite accept me and the BM work into its structure, I know I have a big God who cares enough for His church in Malaysia who needs to grow. The duty to care for the Malaysian church rests upon the shoulders of Malaysian Christians. And through the years, the Lord has prepared me for such a time as now to be strategically in a ministry that is already gaining momentum to be the next big wave to hit the Malaysian church. If you share this excitement in your heart, I invite you to join me in this ministry. I invite you to come alongside me to minister to the indigenous community in Malaysia. As Christians, we should lift a weaker brother as we run the race of life. And truly the Lord has blessed us with so much and shouldn’t we extend a helping hand so that our brother or sister in the interior can come beside us?

Please remember me in your prayers. I have not paid enough attention to my studies recently due to this dilemma. I am working on my research proposal and discussion questions. My motivation is the indigenous community. I know I can only lead them to where I am, therefore, this motivates me to push myself further. Our indigenous siblings deserve as much as we do, a good education and opportunity. I have availed myself to the Lord to make me His vessel to raise their livelihood, spiritually and materially. I know I may not be able to convince you to do the same but I hope you will at least partner me in this effort.

Thank you for your partnership in ministry.

No comments: