Saturday, December 11, 2010

Ministry Update 2: December 2010

Cameron Highlands: sitting on the border of two states in Peninsular Malaysia, Perak and Pahang; and home to numerous indigenous tribal people. Recently I was asked how many tribes were there among the indigenous community in Peninsular Malaysia. It was then that I realized I have “lost touch” with my research project; that I’ve left the initial research to sit in my hard disk and focus on the task at hand – interviewing respondents. So my friend, below is the chart categorizing the indigenous community:

Negrito:Kintaq,Lanok,Kensiu,Jahai,Mendriq,Bateq

Senoi:Temiar,Semai,Mah Meri,Che Wong,Ja Hut,Semoq Beri

Malayu Asli:Orang Selatar,Jakum,Orang Kuala,Orang Kanaq,Temuan,Semelai

Most of these people dwell in the interior; mainly in the central region of the Peninsular. Some of you may notice that this is my second update for this month. The earlier update was not sent to everyone in my usual mailing list. Anyway, it’s already December. We have arrived at the close of the year. I had a great and wonderful trip to Ipoh recently, visiting the OA community at both sides of the Camerons hill. I joined R & R’s church team to a Semai village near Tapah and later visited my Semai colleagues at Gopeng. I also had the opportunity to visit Kampar, the Methodist Senoi Workers’ Training Center and tasted the popular curry chicken bread. It was a fantastic trip and there’s much that I learnt and experienced.
First encounter was the team from an Ipoh church…a Cantonese church. But I discovered soon enough that despite the initial language barrier, hokkien is pretty widely known in Ipoh too. However, I was still pretty lost in a Cantonese worship service. It was a “relief” when I hop to a BM church following that. Is always good to be among something you are familiar with after being “lost in (language) transit.”

On the morning before I returned to Penang, I had breakfast in the hawkers’ center in Gopeng market. Yes, R & R…I just discovered this from the locals. There’s a special noodles stall and another porridge stall which are both very popular. But both were closed that morning. I think your church member was referring to these. Anyway, I sat at the table with a Semai family. The hawker came to serve the food, looked at me, and spoke in Cantonese. I looked at her blankly and asked my Semai friend what she just said (well, my Semai friend understands Cantonese). This hawker asked my Semai friend whether I’m Chinese. So, I replied to her I’m “Cina bukan Cina.”

It’s been a slow year for me, having to adapt to the new system and structure of the Anglican church. I doubt I can fully comprehend the “Anglican sentiments” on certain issues they hold so closely. After all, I pretty much grow up with a universal church mentality, free from the confines of (denomination) traditions.
Ministry wise…well, I have my home (church) CG to thank for helping me break record for 8 consecutive speaking engagements through 7 consecutive weekends, stretching from end of November till mid of January. I’m looking forward to some opportunity where I can break such a record. The BM Bible School had delayed its new curriculum launch. We’ll start in March 2011 instead of the initial January. Kindly join me in prayer for this ministry. We are experiencing some “hiccups” that I’m not comfortable to share in detail yet as it is pending decisions from some board members that can only meet in January. I’m looking forward to the new year with new challenges awaiting. Let’s march on in Jesus’ name to change our nation, our world with the truth of Jesus Christ. A very Merry Christmas to all of you and a very happy New Year too…

No comments: