Friday, December 31, 2010

Ministry Update: Reflecting 2010

The days between Christmas and New Year are often lazy days. Many opt to take leave and go for a holiday. Others go to work without actually being present at work. The anticipation for a new year and the wrapping of the old is an annual affair we encounter yet we always fall into the trap to laze through the week.

Along the lazy days the Lord brought me to reflect upon the year that was and appreciate the many blessings, both seen and unseen. As I pen the final update for the year, allow me to share and thank each one of you for being my friend, my partner, and fellow traveler along this spiritual pilgrimage we share.

It was a year of adaptation for me, leaving an education based institution to begin the new phase of ministry. The Lord gave me a vision and a passion to pursue a ministry of vast potential and I still am overwhelmed by its potentials and prospects. But this only serves to remind me of how inadequate I am apart from God. Entering into the so-called full-time Christian vocation is a complete surrender to the will of God and the anthem is, it’s all about You, Jesus; not about me.

It is a tremendous joy to serve across denominations; meeting and partnering with fellow brothers and sisters from various denominations and church backgrounds. This is the uniqueness of my calling and my pledge of loyalty to the church of Jesus Christ, not to any specific denomination. Denominations, by the way, only serve to divide.

As I reflect upon the past year, I saw the ups and downs, the laughter and the tears, the joy and the sorrow. Yet in all these, I give thanks to a mighty God who works all things for the good of those whom He loves. Allow me to express my gratitude for your partnership and fellowship. Allow me to share with you and return you the blessings you extend to me. Allow me to thank the groups you represent for walking with me through the year, to individuals that have taught me, inspire me, and encourage me.

Living as redeemed sinners we can never achieve perfection at this end of heaven but your partnerships have enriched my spiritual journey in so many ways. To FGA BM, JCMC Youth/Young Adults, FLC that I am regularly in touch and work with – thank you. To individuals that colored my spiritual journey through 2010: from MBTS, PCC, Wesley Methodist Penang, Wesley Methodist Taiping, AOG Ipoh, CGMC, HMB Sabah, HMB Sarawak, FGA Penang, JCMC, FLC, EPCC, GBC, and countless others – thank you.

To my home cell in GBC: you are the only familiar refuge when I needed to return home. I have not been attending GBC Sunday services even at times when my Sunday mornings are available because GBC has grown very distant. Each time I visited, there seemed to be more unfamiliar faces drowning the familiarity I was expecting. It dawned on me that GBC is no longer “home.”

To my partners in the BM ministry, especially the FGA BM pastoral team: you guys are the best. I feel so inadequate each time I stand before you to “teach” knowing that I face an audience who have years of field experience that I ought to learn from. Thank you for accepting me as an “unofficial” team-mate and sharing the retreat, the training, the makan. I greatly appreciate and am honored to learn the ropes of practical ministry together with you guys, something that is not taught in the Seminary. It truly enable me to better formulate a curriculum that is relevant and appropriate for the Bible School ministry I am leading. You are a team that expresses joy in ministry and your partnership birth a deeper love for the BM work in this nation.

To my partners in JCMC: hey, you guys remind me of my previous youth pastorate. The struggle to balance between pleasing the conservative leadership and pursuing a passion for God is nothing new; a little nostalgic to me. Thank you for your friendship and fellowship, not forgetting the fun and makan.

To my almost forgotten family in FLC: though I do not visit often, the times that I do is like returning home to familiar surroundings. The small-knitted-ness among you is so unique and it easily makes one feel at home. Thank you for launching me into active ministry decades ago.

To friends and partners in ministry: in Penang, Taiping, Ipoh, JB, Klang Valley, Sabah, Sarawak, and friends who have migrated to Australia, UK, US; friends I met in Malaysia but from/serving in various countries around the globe – the honor of having known you colored this year brightly and I pray for the coming year that we continue to enrich each other spiritually as we journey together.

As I prepare my first message for 2011, I am reminded of the need to challenge ourselves to expect discipline from God – a discipline that will move us out from our comfort zones, to prevent complacency, and to be always be on our toes. To all my partners in ministry, I thank you and pray that we will continue our partnership into another challenging year tomorrow, anticipating God to work in us and through us to influence a nation that desperately needs to know and experience a loving God.

No comments: